Meaning of "parwane" in hindi songs
Bibhas
2004-01-31 18:44:16 UTC
Hi hindi-song lovers,
Quite a few hindi songs use the word "Parwane". To mention a few: this
song by Kishore Kumar "Pyaar deewana hota hai, mustana hota haiĀ…" has
the following stanza:
"Shama kahen parwane se pare chala jaye
Meri tarah jal jayega, yehan nahi aa,
Wo nahi sunta, usko jal jana hota hai,
Har khushi se, har gam se begana hota hai."

And another again by Kishore Kumar "pal pal dil ke paas" has the
following stanza:
"tum sochogi kyon itna mein tumse pyaar karu,
tum samzogi deewana, mein bhi ikraar karu,
deewano ki ye batein, deewane jante hai,
jalne mein kya maza hai parwane jante hai,
tum yuhi jalate rehna aa aa kur khwabon mein."

I would like to know what is the "jalna of parwane" in Hindi or Urdu
poetic literature associated with. I am aware of "parwane" being all
those flying insects that get attracted to "shama" or fire or flame.
But is this "jalna" in anyway associated with the pleasurable jealousy
that often comes with love, since "jalna" is also used in the sense of
jealousy in hindi?

Please let me know.
Regds,
V S Rawat
2004-01-31 20:27:30 UTC
Bibhas
2004-02-02 05:37:17 UTC
That was a very eloquent and well-worded description Rawat saab. I m
pretty sure that I have understood both the tales, that of the cat
and the mouse and that of shama and parwana. I also understood
what the shama is and what the parwana is, both in real life as
well as poetic life.
However, I would b more than glad if you could clarify the hidden
meaning of "jalna" to me. Just like shama gets attributed various
meanings in idiomatic sense, can jalna ever refer to jealousy in
poems? Or is it always the practical burning of the parwana?
Thanking in anticipation.
Regds,
Bibhas
Post by V S Rawat
Post by Bibhas
Hi hindi-song lovers,
Hi
Post by Bibhas
I would like to know what is the "jalna of parwane" in Hindi or Urdu
poetic literature associated with. I am aware of "parwane" being all
those flying insects that get attracted to "shama" or fire or flame.
But is this "jalna" in anyway associated with the pleasurable jealousy
that often comes with love, since "jalna" is also used in the sense of
jealousy in hindi?
first, I will give another example.
There is a saying you must have heard off. "chuuhe billii kaa khel".
Now everyone has seen chuuhaa as well as billi. Most must have seen
cat chasing a mouse, catching and eating it. Then what is that idiom
all about?
The point is, not many have seen "chuuhe billii kaa khel" at all.
In this, a cat manages to catch a rat, but probably the cat is not
feeling hungry, so she (it) does not eat the rat immediately, nor does
she kill it. She softly holds it in her hands (paws), and keeps on
looking at its struggle.
Then she sets it free.
The mouse runs for its life.
The cat remains sitting, just observing where it is going.
As soon as the cat feels that the mouse is reaching a place where she
will not be able to catch it, she jumps on it, catches it again. again
holds it in her hands for some time, and again sets it free.
After doing it for some time, she finally kills it and eats it.
Those who have not seen with their own eyes, will never believe that
such a scenario is possible.
-------------------
The point of that off-topic long story is that, if you have just seen
the parawaanaa flying around the shamaa, you have not seen the real
act that has led to this idiomatic connection. And howsoever I explain
to you it will be very difficult for you to believe that it is
possible.
The explanation is
1. the ledendary parawaanaa are not all of those hundreds or thousands
of insect species you have seen flying around the flame.
2. The particular parawaanaa is a moth, that long insect with
reasonably big feathers (RMIMers: what is the difference between wings
and feathers?) could someone point to a url having its pic.
3. now the actual act.
The parwaanaa also flies around the shamaa like all other insects.
But whereas other insects keep a safe distance from the shamaa, this
moth jumps into the flame. It is not that it is trying to fly througg
the flame, and got burnt accidentally.
It actually tries to sit over the flame, it tries to catch the flame
with its big wings spreading them around the flame and then closing
them on the flame. Sometimes, it goes and cooly sits on the top of
candle just below the flame, but temperature there also is very high.
In all those instances, it looks quite a decisive action on the part
of parawaanaa and not some accident.
One momenet it is at the shamaa, next moment it is charred to death.
Not that its wings gets burnt first, and it ends up flying on the
flame and burns, sometimes when it tries to land on the shamaa, the
body gets burnt first, wings later, or wings ramain intact. Again
there is no chance of accidental death.
-------------
I hope I have explained the basic observations which have lead to all
these anecdots.
It is "theorized" by poets that the parawaanaa loves shamaa, it tries
to catch her, or to become one with her, then laws of thermodynamics
do their work.
-----------------
Hope you have got the idea from this long-winded mail. Do you believe
it? I am sure that, like cat and mouse, you need to see it before you
believe it. And then you will see new meaning in all those
shamaa-parawaanaa poetry.
-----
jalne mein kya maza hai parwane jante hai,
-----
both the above and many more are referring to that aspect only.
shamaa has been attributed different natures. sometimes it is said to
enjoy burning its lover parawaanaa. sometime is is said to warn
parawaana to stay clear, sometime the flow of molten was is seen as
the tears of shama on the demise of its lover, sometimes it is seen
that in the process of burning its lovers, shamaa itself keeps on
burning, sometime the ultimate truth is realised that parawaanaa dies
immediately and shamaa gets extinguished in the morning or at the end
of the ceremony thus, both have ended their lives and will meet in
their equivalent of heavely abode.
One more thing. Another insect, bhanwaraa (black bee?) has got a
repuration of being a flirt as it goes to different flowers and keeps
on taking things from them, never giving anything in return.
One possible reputation of a parawaanaa could have been that of a
foolhardy, stubborn, adamant creature that tries to do things beyond
its capability. but I have not come across any such reference that I
could recall off hand. Maybe the ultimate truth of it facing its death
in the process has melt even the hard core critics' and
fault-finders' opinion about it, and we only see a positive aura
around a parawaanaa.
I think I have covered all symbolisms ever included in songs. If any
aspect has remained, pleaae post the song.
---------------
Sorry, if I had appeared high-headed. lecturing, doubting,
intimidating you, etc. None of that ws intended. I just thought this
method will make it easier to explain.
Enjoy.
-Rawat
V S Rawat
2004-02-03 07:25:00 UTC
Post by Bibhas
However, I would b more than glad if you could clarify the hidden
meaning of "jalna" to me. Just like shama gets attributed various
meanings in idiomatic sense, can jalna ever refer to jealousy in
poems? Or is it always the practical burning of the parwana?
Thanking in anticipation.
I think when it is referred to shamaa or parawaanaa, it is literal
burning of them.

There are other songs "jalane waale jalaa kare.n", in which that envy
is implied by the word jalna.

If you wish to present some songs in which such a reference is there,
you are most welcome.

-Rawat