Lata song in Satyajit Ray film
Arunabha S Roy
2004-04-14 05:19:51 UTC
I was watching Satyajit Ray's film "Mahapurush" (1965) in which there
played, on the radio, a Lata song in the background. I could not
identify the song, but caught the following lines, somewhere in the
middle of the song:

mai.n naachuu.N meraa man naache
mere sa.ng sa.ng saaraa jag naache

It is not much to go on, but I was hoping someone would be able to
identify the song. To me it sounds very much like 1950s SJ.

I would be interested in other songs that have made appearances
functioning as ambience creation in films. I can recollect a few from
recent watching:

1. jalataa hai badan (Razia Sultan), in Govind Nihalani's Party ('84)
Also features Kishori Amonkar's "sahelaa re mil gaaye"
2. phir mujhe deeda-e-tar yaad aayaa (Mirza Ghalib), in Sai Paranjape's
Sparsh
3. raat suhaanii, jhuume jawaanii (Rani Rupmati), in Mumbai Matinee (2003?)
4. miTTii se khelate ho baar-baar kis liye (Patita), in Rituparno
Ghosh's 19 April (Bengali)

- Arunabha
naniwadekar
2004-04-14 06:38:38 UTC
Ashok
2004-04-14 15:17:32 UTC
...............................'ghanashyam sundaraa'
(Amar Bhupali, a tune which was employed earlier by Dada
Chandekar in film 'Brahmachari').
Pregenitor of "ghanashyaamasu.ndaraa"? Interesting. Can
you say more about this song? Is audio available anywhere?
- dn
Ashok
naniwadekar
2004-04-14 16:44:45 UTC
Post by Ashok
...............................'ghanashyam sundaraa'
(Amar Bhupali, a tune which was employed earlier by Dada
Chandekar in film 'Brahmachari').
Pregenitor of "ghanashyaamasu.ndaraa"? Interesting. Can
you say more about this song? Is audio available anywhere?
I will extract the song off the film's VCD one of these days
and can share it with you. Members of a social outfit are
shown singing the tune as prayer for 40-50 seconds.

There are so many such shortish snippets in Marathi films
around 1940 that I am now curious to know how many of
them are listed in the song-list of Marathi films. (Note to
myself - I must get that list from Sandhu soon.)
I expect the snippets to be part of the films' Hindi
counterparts as well but I don't
have access to most of those Hindi films, making it difficult
to cross-check the data against HFGK. As an aside, I may
mention that through one such snippet, we now have access
to singing voice of Keshavrao Bhole. The song is 'sukh-shayani
shayyevarati' in Kunku. I have VCD of Kunku's Hindi version,
'Duniya Na Mane'. I will put Bhole's voice on internet, preferably
via a song in Hindi. Failing that, I will post mp3 of his voice
in Marathi. He was a very capable singer; I wish he had sung
more often.

Going back to Arunabha's query, one line of 'suno suno ai
ban ke praaNii' has been sung by Raja Nene in a scene in
Kunku (and most probably in Duniya Na Maane, too) as
part of a scene's ambience. Shanta Apte, the original singer
of the song in film 'Amar Jyoti', is herself part of the scene,
looking on while Nene sings the line.

- dn
Satish Kalra
2004-04-14 13:50:40 UTC
Post by Arunabha S Roy
I was watching Satyajit Ray's film "Mahapurush" (1965) in which there
played, on the radio, a Lata song in the background. I could not
identify the song, but caught the following lines, somewhere in the
mai.n naachuu.N meraa man naache
mere sa.ng sa.ng saaraa jag naache
It is not much to go on, but I was hoping someone would be able to
identify the song. To me it sounds very much like 1950s SJ.
Congratulations, Arunabha, in joining the "mafia", by being able to identify
the MD(s) by listening to just a few notes/words of a song. Like Hrishi
Dixit could tell when Lata sang a particular song. :-)

The song you refer to is from New delhi, 1956, "zindagii bahaar hai muhabbat
kii bahaar se...", immediately following the "nakhare waalii...." number.

--
Happy Listenings.

Satish Kalra
Srinivas Ganti
2004-04-14 15:39:25 UTC
Post by Satish Kalra
Congratulations, Arunabha, in joining the "mafia", by being able to identify
the MD(s) by listening to just a few notes/words of a song.
Arunbaha,

Mubarak ho. I am planning to get you drunk on this achievement :)

sg.
Satish Kalra
2004-04-15 00:58:14 UTC
Post by Satish Kalra
the MD(s) by listening to just a few notes/words of a song.
Arunbaha,
Mubarak ho. I am planning to get you drunk on this achievement :)
sg.
Pray tell us, Srinivas, where this event is being planned for. :-)
--
Happy Listenings.

Satish Kalra
Srinivas Ganti
2004-04-15 21:20:15 UTC
Post by Satish Kalra
Post by Srinivas Ganti
Arunbaha,
Mubarak ho. I am planning to get you drunk on this achievement :)
sg.
Pray tell us, Srinivas, where this event is being planned for. :-)
The rendezvous hasn't been decided yet, but photographs
of the event will be circulated among the mafia :)

sg.

ps: Prof. Surjit Singh. Would u like to head the panel that will recommend
names of the ppl. to be inducted into the mafia in future ?
Surjit Singh
2004-04-15 21:35:31 UTC
Post by Srinivas Ganti
Post by Satish Kalra
Post by Srinivas Ganti
Arunbaha,
Mubarak ho. I am planning to get you drunk on this achievement :)
sg.
Pray tell us, Srinivas, where this event is being planned for. :-)
The rendezvous hasn't been decided yet, but photographs
Why not Ottawa?
Post by Srinivas Ganti
of the event will be circulated among the mafia :)
sg.
ps: Prof. Surjit Singh. Would u like to head the panel that will recommend
names of the ppl. to be inducted into the mafia in future ?
--
Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.

Visit my home page at
http://hindi-movies-songs.com/index.html
Surjit Singh
2004-04-15 22:57:04 UTC
Post by Srinivas Ganti
ps: Prof. Surjit Singh. Would u like to head the panel that will recommend
names of the ppl. to be inducted into the mafia in future ?
I am sure mafia is already quite adept at doing things more than
adequately and does not need help.

V S Rawat
2004-04-17 05:25:39 UTC
Post by Srinivas Ganti
Post by Satish Kalra
Post by Srinivas Ganti
Arunbaha,
Mubarak ho. I am planning to get you drunk on this
achievement :)
sg.
Pray tell us, Srinivas, where this event is being
planned for. :-)
The rendezvous hasn't been decided yet, but photographs
of the event will be circulated among the mafia :)
sg.
ps: Prof. Surjit Singh. Would u like to head the panel
that will recommend names of the ppl. to be inducted into
the mafia in future ?
As if professor was not already doing it.

Maybe, Ganti is trying to limit the powers of professor by
suggesting that a panel be formed to balance his unilateral
functioning.

Ganti! even God can't save you now. :)

-rawat
Arunabha S Roy
2004-04-15 00:58:54 UTC
Post by Satish Kalra
Post by Arunabha S Roy
played, on the radio, a Lata song in the background.
mai.n naachuu.N meraa man naache
mere sa.ng sa.ng saaraa jag naache
It is not much to go on, but I was hoping someone would be able to
identify the song. To me it sounds very much like 1950s SJ.
Congratulations, Arunabha, in joining the "mafia", by being able to identify
the MD(s) by listening to just a few notes/words of a song. Like Hrishi
Dixit could tell when Lata sang a particular song. :-)
Thanks a lot Satish-ji for identifying the song (and for inducting me
into the redoubtable mafia :)) You are unbeatable when it comes to SJ's
music :-)

After hitting the send button I recalled the Musaafir songs that you had
earlier identified and told me about over email, a while back.

Arunabha
Ritu
2004-04-14 17:33:02 UTC
Post by Arunabha S Roy
I would be interested in other songs that have made appearances
functioning as ambience creation in films. I can recollect a few from
1. jalataa hai badan (Razia Sultan), in Govind Nihalani's Party ('84)
Also features Kishori Amonkar's "sahelaa re mil gaaye"
2. phir mujhe deeda-e-tar yaad aayaa (Mirza Ghalib), in Sai Paranjape's
Sparsh
3. raat suhaanii, jhuume jawaanii (Rani Rupmati), in Mumbai Matinee (2003?)
4. miTTii se khelate ho baar-baar kis liye (Patita), in Rituparno
Ghosh's 19 April (Bengali)
Some more to the list

1. Hum tum ek kamre mein band ho (Bobby) in the famous 'Miss Chamko'
scene in 'Chashme Baddoor'

2.Tujhe jeevan ki dor se (Asli Naqli) in Guddi (or was it just the
instrumental?)

3. Abke baras bhej bhaiya ko babul (Bandini) in Amol Palekar's
'Kairee'. There was another song (I think Tadbeer se bgidi hui) which
also plays in the same film.

Cheers
Ritu
- Arunabha
Satish Kalra
2004-04-15 00:57:19 UTC
Post by Ritu
Post by Arunabha S Roy
[...]
Director Hrishikesh Mukerjee can be said to be one of those who practised
this frequently, right from get go. His first directorial film, Musafir,
had snippets of three different songs being played on the gramophone in the
tea shop opposite the house where the three families come to live in.

The songs were, "chandaa kaa tuut gayaa gheraa..." by Asha; "log chaahe
kuchh bhii kahen....", and "baabuu re o baabuu..." by Geeta Dutt. All three
are from the film Kala Chor which had music by Sardul Kwatra.

In his later films, Mr. Mukerjee even used full songs, either lip-synched in
whole (e.g., aajaa re pardesi in Guddi by Jaya Bhaduri), or as "background
score". Another film, Situm (mid-80's), starring Naseeruddin Shah and
Vikram had a few Rafi songs being lip-synched by N. Shah.

--
Happy Listenings.

Satish Kalra
Ashok
2004-04-15 12:53:30 UTC
Post by Satish Kalra
Director Hrishikesh Mukerjee can be said to be one of those who practised
this frequently, right from get go. His first directorial film, Musafir,
had snippets of three different songs being played on the gramophone in the
tea shop opposite the house where the three families come to live in.
The songs were, "chandaa kaa tuut gayaa gheraa..." by Asha; "log chaahe
kuchh bhii kahen....", and "baabuu re o baabuu..." by Geeta Dutt. All three
are from the film Kala Chor which had music by Sardul Kwatra.
Satish Kalra
Good example, Satish saab, but the film is wrong. The songs
are from 'Teen Bhai' ('57), which had music by Arun Kumar.

Ashok
Satish Kalra
2004-04-15 13:10:40 UTC
Post by Ashok
Post by Satish Kalra
Director Hrishikesh Mukerjee can be said to be one of those who practised
this frequently, right from get go. His first directorial film, Musafir,
had snippets of three different songs being played on the gramophone in the
tea shop opposite the house where the three families come to live in.
The songs were, "chandaa kaa tuut gayaa gheraa..." by Asha; "log chaahe
kuchh bhii kahen....", and "baabuu re o baabuu..." by Geeta Dutt. All three
are from the film Kala Chor which had music by Sardul Kwatra.
Satish Kalra
Good example, Satish saab, but the film is wrong. The songs
are from 'Teen Bhai' ('57), which had music by Arun Kumar.
Ashok
My bad! I was thinking about the Kaalaa Chor songs, "dil meraa huaa hai ab
teraa...", and "bas ye kasoor kiyaa hai huzoor tumko jo dekhaa hamein pyaar
aa gayaa..." when writing the post. These two songs, one on each side,
appear on a cassette combo of Nau Do Gyarah/Howrah Bridge. The songs are
set in OPN style, and one could easily take them to be Howrah Bridge songs.

Thanks, Ashok.

--
Happy Listenings.

Satish Kalra
Dr.Mandar V.Bichu
2004-04-15 21:34:16 UTC
Arunabha S Roy wrote in message
Post by Arunabha S Roy
I was watching Satyajit Ray's film "Mahapurush" (1965) in which there
played, on the radio, a Lata song in the background. I could not
identify the song, but caught the following lines, somewhere in the
mai.n naachuu.N meraa man naache
mere sa.ng sa.ng saaraa jag naache
Hi,

On a different track, I have always wondered why Lata was never used
as a playback singer in any Satyajit Ray film. Was there any
particular reason for this non- association, especially when Lata was
doing so well in Bengali songs in fifties and sixties?

: Dr.Mandar
Arun Iyengar
2004-04-19 18:02:53 UTC
Post by Arunabha S Roy
I was watching Satyajit Ray's film "Mahapurush" (1965) in which there
played, on the radio, a Lata song in the background. I could not
identify the song, but caught the following lines, somewhere in the
mai.n naachuu.N meraa man naache
mere sa.ng sa.ng saaraa jag naache
Hi,
On a different track, I have always wondered why Lata was never used
as a playback singer in any Satyajit Ray film. Was there any
particular reason for this non- association, especially when Lata was
doing so well in Bengali songs in fifties and sixties?
I think he deliberately kept her out. He has said something like it is very
unnatural for every film heroine to sound and sing like Lata.

(Remove 999 to reply)
Sambit Basu
2004-04-19 19:01:54 UTC
Post by Dr.Mandar V.Bichu
Hi,
On a different track, I have always wondered why Lata was never used
as a playback singer in any Satyajit Ray film. Was there any
particular reason for this non- association, especially when Lata was
doing so well in Bengali songs in fifties and sixties?
How many female playbacks can you think of in SR films?
I can think of the following:

1. 'Bhalobasar tumi ki jaano' in Chiriyakhana
2. Two bhajans in "Jai Baba Felunath"
3. One thumri in "Shatranj Ki khilari"
4. One Rabindrasangeet in "Tin Kanya"
5. One Rabindrsanageet each in "Shakha-Prashakha" and
"Agantuk"

There was also a Rajasthani folk in "Sonar Kella" by a real
street-singer from Rajasthan.

(Can anybody think of any other female playbacks in SR
movies?)

2 and 3 were sung by Reba Muhuri - Lukhnow-styled-and-trained
semi-classical singer. 4 was sung by Ruma GuhaThakurata,
who had more RS training (and clearer Bangla accent and
pronunciation) than Lata. Songs in 5 were sung by Sramana
GuhaThakurata trained in Rabindrsangeet singing.

Probably 1 could have been sung by Lata, but the song
was a sort of spoof on old bangla songs and Satyajit used
Namita Ghoshal (as a side note, she is the sister of
Anup Ghoshal) which was sufficient for the situation.

- Sambit
Abhay Phadnis
2004-04-20 08:32:05 UTC
Post by Sambit Basu
How many female playbacks can you think of in SR films?
1. 'Bhalobasar tumi ki jaano' in Chiriyakhana
2. Two bhajans in "Jai Baba Felunath"
3. One thumri in "Shatranj Ki khilari"
There were two thumri-s by Reba Muhuri in "Shatranj Ke Khiladi" - 'chhab
dikhalaa jaa' and 'bajaaye ba.Nsuriyaa shyaam'.

Also, while it is not "playback", didn't Waheeda Rehman sing for herself in
"Abhijaan"?

Warm regards,
Abhay
- Sambit
Sambit Basu
2004-04-21 01:28:00 UTC
Post by Abhay Phadnis
Post by Sambit Basu
1. 'Bhalobasar tumi ki jaano' in Chiriyakhana
2. Two bhajans in "Jai Baba Felunath"
3. One thumri in "Shatranj Ki khilari"
There were two thumri-s by Reba Muhuri in "Shatranj Ke Khiladi" - 'chhab
dikhalaa jaa' and 'bajaaye ba.Nsuriyaa shyaam'.
I totally forgot about the second one, only the khamaj
thumri is still in mind.
Post by Abhay Phadnis
Also, while it is not "playback", didn't Waheeda Rehman sing for herself in
"Abhijaan"?
Did she? Again my memory is failing. But there are other
such instances too, e.g. Madhabi Mukherjee singing (more
like humming) a RS in "Charulata". But as you have pointed
out, they are not playbacks in popular sense.
Post by Abhay Phadnis
Post by Sambit Basu
4. One Rabindrasangeet in "Tin Kanya"
5. One Rabindrsanageet each in "Shakha-Prashakha" and
"Agantuk"
I remembered a few more:

1. In "Jalshaghar", I think there are a couple of female
playback. Was there a Akhtari Bai rendition?

2. "Jana Aranya" had a Rabindrasangeet by Sharmila Ray.

3. In "Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne", there was a very small
snippet of a thumri which goes like "rumjhum badariya ..."
or something like this. But it was lipped by a male
actor.

- Sambit
Abhay Phadnis
2004-04-21 08:31:00 UTC
"Sambit Basu" <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:***@posting.google.com...
(snip)
Post by Sambit Basu
1. In "Jalshaghar", I think there are a couple of female
playback. Was there a Akhtari Bai rendition?
There was, but it wouldn't count as 'playback' - she sang it herself on
screen!

Warm regards,
Abhay
- Sambit
Archisman
2004-04-20 09:04:11 UTC
Post by Sambit Basu
How many female playbacks can you think of in SR films?
1. 'Bhalobasar tumi ki jaano' in Chiriyakhana
2. Two bhajans in "Jai Baba Felunath"
3. One thumri in "Shatranj Ki khilari"
4. One Rabindrasangeet in "Tin Kanya"
5. One Rabindrsanageet each in "Shakha-Prashakha" and
"Agantuk"
There was also a Rajasthani folk in "Sonar Kella" by a real
street-singer from Rajasthan.
(Can anybody think of any other female playbacks in SR
movies?)
Dear Mr. Basu,

I had posted this query in RMIC:

"In the scene where Feluda & team go up the staircase in
'Ghoshal-baari' to meet Umanath's father, they pass by Umanath's
grandfather's room from where, a beautiful thumri in bhairavi emanates
out of a mechanical gramophone player.

Any idea who the female singer is and the bandish? I may be wrong but
I think it is Zohrabai Agrawali."

Thanks in advance.

Regards-Archisman.