Mukesh - Top Ten Songs? Suggestions?
nishay
2004-05-28 10:15:33 UTC
Most popular Mukesh songs? Please?

Uday
Srinivas Ganti
2004-05-28 18:55:32 UTC
Post by nishay
Most popular Mukesh songs? Please?
awara huuN
mera juuta hai japani
suhana safar aur ye mausam hasiin
dost dost na raha
kabhi kabhi mere dil men
chandan sa badan
saawan ka mahina
sab kuchh siikha hamne
jaane kahaan gaye vo din
tuu kahe agar jiivan bhar

My favorite Mukesh songs list is quite different as it will have
songs of Anil Biswas, Roshan and SDB among others.

sg.
Afzal A. Khan
2004-05-28 19:11:25 UTC
Post by Srinivas Ganti
Post by nishay
Most popular Mukesh songs? Please?
awara huuN
mera juuta hai japani
suhana safar aur ye mausam hasiin
dost dost na raha
kabhi kabhi mere dil men
chandan sa badan
saawan ka mahina
sab kuchh siikha hamne
jaane kahaan gaye vo din
tuu kahe agar jiivan bhar
My favorite Mukesh songs list is quite different as it will have
songs of Anil Biswas, Roshan and SDB among others.
sg.
There can be a long list of excellent songs by Mukesh.
However, I would like to add just two to the above list :

"Yeh mera deewaanapan hai" from "Yahudi"
"Mujh ko yaaro maaf karna" from "MaiN Nashe Men HooN"

Afzal
Shalini Razdan
2004-05-28 21:22:10 UTC
Post by Srinivas Ganti
Post by nishay
Most popular Mukesh songs? Please?
awara huuN
mera juuta hai japani
suhana safar aur ye mausam hasiin
dost dost na raha
kabhi kabhi mere dil men
chandan sa badan
saawan ka mahina
sab kuchh siikha hamne
jaane kahaan gaye vo din
tuu kahe agar jiivan bhar
I came up with a similar list but with the following differences in place of
"suhana safar", "dost dost na raha", tu kahe agar" and "sawan ka mahina."

Sajan re jhooth mat bolo
Main to ek khwaab hoon
Maine tere liye hi saat rang
Mujhko is raat ki tanhai mein
Post by Srinivas Ganti
My favorite Mukesh songs list is quite different as it will have
songs of Anil Biswas, Roshan and SDB among others.
Ditto. One of the difficulties in an exercise like this is determining what
category of song popularity one wants to capture: songs that were popular
at the time of their release or songs for which the singer is best know now.
The two lists may not be identical.

Shalini
sg.
FEDUP
2004-05-29 01:20:38 UTC
My favorites
1)Saranga Tere
2)Aya Hai Mujhe Phir Yaad Wo Jalim
3)Jhoomti Chali hawa
4)Jane Kahan gaye O din
5)Aansoo Bhari hai
6)Mujhe mere haal pe
7)Main tho Ek Khwab hun
8)Mujhko Is Raat Ki
9)Jis Dil MEin Basa tha
10)Hum Chor chale hai
Uday
Rirfan6
2004-05-29 02:12:19 UTC
Post by FEDUP
My favorites
Some additions :

aa lot key aaja mere miit
dil dhoondta hey saharey saharey
sub pyar ki baateN kartey hein
ye din kya aaey lage phool khilney
kaeii bar yuN bhi dekha hey ye jo munn

Irfan
Satish Kalra
2004-05-29 03:42:41 UTC
Post by Rirfan6
Post by FEDUP
My favorites
aa lot key aaja mere miit
dil dhoondta hey saharey saharey
sub pyar ki baateN kartey hein
ye din kya aaey lage phool khilney
kaeii bar yuN bhi dekha hey ye jo munn
Irfan
Let me also join the bandwagon by listing two of my all time favorites, not
necessarily popular ones.

1. jab gham-e-ishq saaataa hai to hans letaa huun, Kinaare Kinaare, Nyaya
Sharma, Jaidev;

and what I call the swan song of Mukesh (released more than two decades
after its being recorded)

2. tumhiin ne dil ko dil samajhaa nahiin hai - Chaand Grahan, Kaifi Azmi,
Jaidev.

At the risk of repetition, I would say that I have yet to find a sher equal
to "merii baahon se aage jaa rahii ho, magar aage koyii duniyaa nahiin hai",
and so feelingly rendered by Mukesh.

Both are ghazals, and both composed by Jaidev.

--
Happy Listenings.

Satish Kalra
BHAGWANTSAGOO
2004-05-29 11:21:47 UTC
Date: 29/05/2004 04:42 GMT Daylight Time
Post by Rirfan6
Post by FEDUP
[...]
I would concur with the above 2 being quite exquisite. They have Jaidev's very
relaxed style mixed with an emotion only Mukesh could empart.

Other songs to take note of are:
1. Zikr Hota Hai Jab Qayamat Ka - MY LOVE
2. Kahin Door Jab Din Dhal Jaaye - ANAND
3. Zubaan Pe Dard - MARYADA
4. Dil Hi Bhuja Hua - NIRDOSH
5. Main To Ek Khwab Hoon - HIMALAY KI GODMEIN
6. Dil Jalta Hai To Jalne De- PEHLI NAZAR
7. Qismat Bigdi Duniya Badli - AFSAANA
8. Mujhko Yaaro Muaf Karan - MAIN NASHE MEIN HOON
9. Mujhe Tum Se Kuchh Bhi Na Chahiye - KANHAIYA
10. Aa Laut Ke Aaja Mere Meet - RANI ROOPMATI

Bhagwant
Sanjeev Ramabhadran
2004-05-30 04:54:11 UTC
Post by Satish Kalra
Let me also join the bandwagon by listing two of my all time favorites, not
necessarily popular ones.
2. tumhiin ne dil ko dil samajhaa nahiin hai - Chaand Grahan, Kaifi Azmi,
Jaidev.
At the risk of repetition, I would say that I have yet to find a sher equal
to "merii baahon se aage jaa rahii ho, magar aage koyii duniyaa nahiin hai",
and so feelingly rendered by Mukesh.
Devastatingly so! Mukesh's strength lay in such almost spoken-style
renditions.

Sanjeev
naniwadekar
2004-05-30 05:55:28 UTC
"Sanjeev Ramabhadran" wrote -
Post by Sanjeev Ramabhadran
Devastatingly so! Mukesh's strength lay in such almost
spoken-style renditions.
I couldn't agree more. And since slower-style was almost
a norm before Lata's tyranny upped the pace of Hindi Film
Song and forced others to (try to) do things at a pace which she
alone could handle, we must look to days around and before
Lata's meteoric rise for Mukesh's best. But, alas, this thread
has been hijacked by the post-1950 mafia.

- dn
Robin
2004-05-31 00:40:45 UTC
A different opinion?

To look "to days around and before Lata's meteoric rise for Mukesh's
best..before (she) upped the pace..", which can reasonably be
construed to mean to be around Barsaat (1949), would confine Mukesh's
best to within about 100 songs and 3 years. (if her rise is attributed
to a time before Barsaat, the pool becomes even smaller)

These are certainly subjective matters and respectfully to each their
own but for me there are an incremental 900+ songs and nearly 30 years
from which to look for his best.

No question that Mukesh had extraordinary songs in the early years,
such as from Pehli Nazar (1945), Dak Bangla (1947), Tohfa (1947), Aag
and Anokhi Ada (both 1948), the 'up-paced' songs of Barsaat itself :),
and others which I may not have even heard. But I can also go to Anand
or Mera Naam Joker (both 1970), or 1974 for Thokar or Bhool Na Jana or
Apne Hue Paraye from the 1960s, to even to that last fateful evening
in August, 1976 to find extraordinary Mukesh songs which could vie for
the 'best' list.

Now, whether the 'Mafia' is infested by the likes of Vito or Sonny or
Michael.. or Premnath or Feroz Khan, for both of whom Mukesh has songs
with a legit claim to also being amongst his 'best' - is a different
subject :)

Regards...Robin
==
- dn
Vinay
2004-05-30 17:55:26 UTC
"Satish Kalra" <***@comcast.net> wrote in message news:ctidnX0-***@comcast.com...
<snipped>
Post by Satish Kalra
and what I call the swan song of Mukesh (released more than two decades
after its being recorded)
2. tumhiin ne dil ko dil samajhaa nahiin hai - Chaand Grahan, Kaifi Azmi,
Jaidev.
At the risk of repetition, I would say that I have yet to find a sher equal
to "merii baahon se aage jaa rahii ho, magar aage koyii duniyaa nahiin hai",
and so feelingly rendered by Mukesh.
Beauty of a song. In the same class, is another song from the same movie by
Mukesh -- "tujhako yuu.N dekhaa hai". I would rank these two amongst the
very best of not only Mukesh, but also Jaidev and Kaifi. Kaifi.. aah...

haath phailaa diye inaam-e-mohabbat ke liye
ye na sochaa kii mai.n kyaa, merii mohabbat kyaa hai
rakh diyaa dil tere qadamo.n pe tab aayaa ye Khayaal
tujhako is TuuTe hue dil kii zaruurat kyaa hai

To be able to listen to such lines in 90s was nothing but pure bliss, even
being aware that these were written/composed two decades ago.

terii ulfat ke Khariidaar to kitane ho.nge
tere gusse kaa talabagaar mile yaa naa mile

It rarely gets better than this, if you combine the quality of lyrics, music
composition and the absolutely wonderful rendering by Mukesh. Complete
lyrics at:

http://www.panchamonline.com/gaane/search.asp?s=tumhin+ne+dil&browse=stitle

To pick up the thread back, whether these two would be in my "Top Ten songs"
for Mukesh? I have no doubt. The rest would sure have a few from Salil and
Khayyam among others. May be a couple from S-J too (the non-Raj Kapoor
type).

As far as the most popular songs of Mukesh are concerned, below is a list
which should give a fair idea. To prepare this, I have referred to Binaca
Geetmala's popularity ranking, which in my opinion was considered fair
enough representation.

Here's what I found for the years between 1954-1976, for which conclusive
data is avaialable to me thru giitaayanWiki. These are songs from that found
a place in the top 10 "paaydaans" in the "Vaarshik Binaca Geetmala". The
paaydaan numbers are given against each song. Please ignore the question
marks.

1954
none
1955
meraa juutaa hai jaapaanii (Shri 420) - 1
iichak daana biichak daana (Shri 420) -5
1956
none
1958
suhaanaa safar aur ye mausam hasii.n (Madhumati?) -5
ye meraa diiwaanaapan hai (Yahudi?) - 7
1959
mujhako yaaro maaf karanaa (MainNasheMeinHoon?) -2
sab kuchh siikhaa hamane naa siikhii hoshiyaarii (Anari?) - 3
wo chaa.Nd khilaa wo taare ha.Nse (Anari?) - 4
aa lauT ke aajaa mere meet (RaniRupmati?) - 6
ruk jaa o jaane waalii ruk jaa (Kanhaiyya?) - 10
1960
mujhako is raat kii tanhaaii me.n (DilBhiTeraHumBhiTere?) - 3
chal rii sajanii ab kyaa soche (BambaiKaBabu?) -5
chhaliyaa meraa naam chhalanaa meraa kaam (Chhalia?) - 9
tuu hai harajaaii to apanaa bhii yahii taur sahii (TuNahinAurSahi?) - 10
1961
meraa naam raajuu gharaanaa anaam (JisDeshMeinGangaBehtiHai?, 1960) -4
saara.ngaa terii yaad me.n nain hue bechain (Saranga?, 1960) -9
1962-1963
Data not available
1964
mere man kii ga.ngaa aur tere man kii jamunaa kaa (Sangam?) - 1
1965
jis dil me.n basaa thaa pyaar teraa (Saheli?) -1
1966
Sajan re jhooth mat bolo (TeesriKasam?) -8
1967
Sawan Ka Mahina (Milan?) -1
Deewana Mujhko Log (Deewana?) -4
Hum Tum Yug Yug Se (Milan?) -6
Duniya Ki Sair Kar Lo (AroundTheWorld?) -9
1968
Chandan Sa Badan (Saraswatichandra?) -5
1969
Oh Re Taal Mile Nadi Ke Jal Mein (AnokhiRaat?) -2
Chal Akela Chal Akela (Sambandh?) -4
Chandi Ki Deewar Na Todi (Vishwas?) -7
Je Hum Tum Chori Se (DhartiKahePukarKe?) -9
1970
Woh Pari Kahan Se(Pehchaan) -4
1971
none
1972
Jai Bolo Beimaan ki(Beimaan) -6
1973
none
1974
none
1975
Mehangaai maar gayi (RotiKapadaAurMakaan?, 1974) -1
1976
kabhii kabhii mere dil me.n (KabhiKabhie?) -1
Ik din bik jaayegaa maaTii ke mol (DharamKaram?, 1975) -2
Chal sanyasi mandir mein (Sanyasi?, 1975) -5
Main pal do pal ka shaayar hoon (KabhiKabhie?) -7
Kahat kabeer suno bhai saadhu (DusNambari?) - 10
1977 onwards
Only partial data available

The complete listing of Vaarshik Binaca Geetmala for each year can be seen
at the URL - http://www28.brinkster.com/giitaayan/ow.asp?BinacaGeetmala.

The list reflects some interesting facts like Mukesh had quite a few #1
songs spread throughout his career. And that after some rather dull years
between 1970-1975, he came back with a bang in 1976 with 3 songs in top 5.

Vinay
Post by Satish Kalra
--
Happy Listenings.
Satish Kalra
Surjit Singh
2004-05-30 19:15:34 UTC
Post by Vinay
<snipped>
I don't think think too many duets have been mentioned. The most popular
in the early days was

badariya baras gayi us par with hamida.

The first mukesh song I remember hearing is the duet

bade armanon se rakha hai balam teri qasam
--
Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.
http://hindi-movies-songs.com/index.html
Sunil Dandekar
2004-06-02 09:15:51 UTC
Post by Surjit Singh
Post by Vinay
<snipped>
I don't think think too many duets have been mentioned. The most popular
in the early days was
badariya baras gayi us par with hamida.
The first mukesh song I remember hearing is the duet
bade armanon se rakha hai balam teri qasam
Few more...

Aye dil na mujhse chhupa... (Badal)
Dekho Mausam kya bahar hai..(Opera house)
Dilki Nazarse.. (Anaadi)
Ek manzil raahi do... (Sanjog)
Haan maine bhi pyar kiya..(Boond jo ban gayee moti)
Yeh kisne geet chheda...(Meri soorat teri ankhe..)

Sunil Dandekar
Vijay Kumar
2004-05-29 09:15:23 UTC
Post by Rirfan6
Post by FEDUP
My favorites
aa lot key aaja mere miit
dil dhoondta hey saharey saharey
sub pyar ki baateN kartey hein
ye din kya aaey lage phool khilney
kaeii bar yuN bhi dekha hey ye jo munn
Irfan
And a couple of my favorites:

kise yaad rakhuuN, kise bhool jaauuN

chhoTii si yeh ziNdgaani re, chaar din kii kahaani terii

Vijay Kumar
Rirfan6
2004-05-29 12:37:10 UTC
Another great song :
nain hamarey saanjh sitarey...
In this song Salilda has composed one
of the longest mukhras - the other such
example is - koi hota jisko apna - KK

Irfan
pramod
2004-06-17 17:54:49 UTC
don't hit me, but I 've to admit I am not a great fan of Mukesh!!!

(Running for shelter and asylum)

But I like his following songs for SDB
a) O jaanewale, ho sake to laut ke aana
b) Chal ri sajni

and also

c) Kahin karti hogi woh mera intazaar.

By the looks of it I think I'll have to change my name, undergo
plastic surgery and live somewhere in Greenland from now on!

But eh! I forgot nobody know my face. :-))

regards
Pramod
Uday
Robin
2004-05-29 23:45:51 UTC
I can think of ten Mukesh songs (mostly popular, some rarities) in one
way - from music directors who are relatively obscure and/or from md's
who were not much inclined towards him -

(Lyricists noted where I'm quite certain of the name)
(Also attempting not to repeat the ones already cited by others)

1 SDB - Dr. Vidya - no, not the obligatory and first-things-first
homage to the man..but an utterly vivacious song in 'ae dil-e-awaara
chal, phir wohi dobaara chal'. Must have been written by Majrooh?
About the few criticisms that can be made of SDB is that he did not
use Mukesh more often, according to me.

2 Brij Bhushan - Milap - kaiyi sadiyon se
3 Shyamji Ghanshyamji - Thokar - main dhoondta hoon unko
4 OPN - Ek Baar Muskura Do - chehre se zaraa aanchal (w/Asha)
5 Sonik-Omi - Aabroo - jinhe hum bhoolna chahe - H. S. Rawail
6 Iqbal Quereshi - Love in Simla - dar pe aaye hai - Rajinder
Krishnan

7 Surhid Kar - Kanch Ki Gudiyaan - saath ho tum (w/Asha), a
desert-island song, if ever there was one. One of the Shailendra
evergreens.

8 Vinod - Hamari Yaad Ayegi - sochtha hoon ye kya kiya maine

9 Usha Khanna - Hum Hindustani - neeli neeli ghata (w/Asha). UK made
quite a few good ones for Mukesh.

10 ? - Nain dwaar - maybe the deepest ever voice from him, (w/Lata)
Hansraj Behl

(Mukesh also sang 'ye hasta hua caravan' from Hemant Kumar's 'Ek
Jhalak'? I have never this one)

To pick 10 beloveds from a list of at least 200-300

ROMANTICS SONGS:

1 Diwana - ae sanam jisne tujhe chand si surat (Hasrat)

2 Saathi - aankhen khuli thi ... a stunning song from Naushad after a
very long hiatus with the singer. Steeped in romantic lyrics by
Majrooh with lines like 'ab to andhero se ulfat si ho gayi hai
hamein.. and 'unkaa khayal dil mein, tasavvur nigaho mein, roshan unhi
se hai'... 'taknaa hai aaj unhe umra bhar ke liye'

3 Mehndi Lagi Mere Haath - teri woh chaal hai ke tauba (Bakshi)

4 Aashiq - tum jo hamare meet na hote, Shailendra

5 My Love - zikra hota hai jab qayamat ka - no Top 10 list of Mukesh
songs can be complete without this evergreen by Daan Singh and Bakshi,
for Shashi Kapoor.

I've never seen the Dr. Vidya song, don't know if the vcd/dvd exists.
Same for # 5. And to add to the frustration, # 2 and # 3 were cut from
the film, at least going by the dvd.
------

SAD/PHILOSOPHICAL SONGS:

An impossible exercise in budgeting but these are the perennials:

6 Milan - sama hai suhana - Bakshi
7a Devar - aaya hai mujhe phir yaad wo zaalim - Bakshi
7b Devar - baharon ne mere chaman loot ke

For # 7a/b, the writer must have considered it to be one of his
luckiest moments to get such tunes, from such a music director.

Around the Milan song stands one of the almost-mythical tales (true as
far as I know) of hfm - as to how around a paan shop did Laxmi-Pyare
draw up the base tune and how Bakshi wrote the first lines on the back
side of a cigarette packet, when they were taking a break from a
frustrating mental block in the studio while trying to come up with
the song for the bidaai scene.

For these three songs, one would think the lyrics, the tune, the
moment in the film would be stale, or overly sentimental, by now. But
they are not.. time and time again, they replenish themselves in
Mukesh compilations in the market. Truly ageless songs.

8 Annadata - nain hamare, which I consider to be Salil Chaudhary's
finest moment with Mukesh. (already cited by someone, but this one is
too much to let go)

9 Teesri Kasam - duniya banaane waale - more the film version, with
Raj Kapoor's lines within the song included. This song is also a
reminder of the 'noblesse oblige' which used to exist at one time in
the industry - it was Shailendra's own production but he decided that
the thematic core number of the film would be written by Hasrat
Jaipuri.

10 Hariyali Aur Raasta - teri yaad dil se - if I were forced to pick
one and one song only of Mukesh to take away from this life - this
would be it.

11 Anokhi Ada - kabhi dil dil se takraata to hoga - has to be Shakeel.

12 And lastly, what list of Mukesh songs can be complete without
Jaikishen reserving one for his own singing moment in films -
Bezuban's 'ae pyaase dil ki zubaan'.. kya gaana hai...again
Shailendra.

(Is it ten already?)

In closing, this list is shortchanged by not including at least three
of the songs mentioned by others -

Main Nashe Mein Hoon - title song
Anuraag - kise yaad rakhoon, kise bhool jaoun
Yahudi - ye mera diwanapan hai, with unforgettable preceding lines, by
Shailendra.

Regards..Robin
Uday
FEDUP
2004-05-30 00:59:36 UTC
I thought i was the lone fan of mukesh songs. I am sooooooooo pleased to see
all these posts!!
I have never found another singer that can create the feelings that Mukesh
did in his songs.
I wish Mukesh learnt some carnatic music and some Hindustani classical. It
would have been more wonderful. Imagine Nagumomu sung by Mukesh !!
Uday
UVR
2004-06-03 14:23:29 UTC
Post by FEDUP
I wish Mukesh learnt some carnatic music and some Hindustani classical. It
would have been more wonderful. Imagine Nagumomu sung by Mukesh !!
I'd rather not. For all the beauty and elegance of it, Mukesh's
voice did not possess too many abilities on the "gamaka" front.
At least I haven't heard any songs by him that make me feel that
he would have been able to handle 'nagumomu' as it should be.

I'm sorry to post a critique of this nature on a thread extolling
Mukesh's good songs, so let me add one of my own Mukesh favorites
here:

. ham ne apanaa sab kuchh khoyaa, pyaar teraa paane ko
Saraswati Chandra.

-UVR.
naniwadekar
2004-06-03 14:42:26 UTC
Post by UVR
I'd rather not. For all the beauty and elegance of it, Mukesh's
voice did not possess too many abilities on the "gamaka" front.
I'm sorry to post a critique of this nature on a thread extolling
Mukesh's good songs ...
But why? I agree with your critique entirely; I also feel
extolling an artist should not mean heaping non-existent
virtues on him. Trying to teach Mukesh classical singing
would gain nothing and could even lose much. There are
many classical singers in this world but there is only one
Mukesh and to straightjacket him into classical mode
is to lose sight of his strengths. There is a story that at
a gathering of music lovers (possibly around 1970), someone
remarked that a newcomer copied Mukesh so blindly that
he went besura exacly at the same places and in the same
manner that Mukesh would. Anil Biswas was present
and he joined everyone in the laughter. As AB succintly
remarked after Mukesh's death : 'aalaa aalam me.n
tujhase laakh sahii, magar tuu kahaa.N' .

- dn
Abhay Jain
2004-05-30 11:54:09 UTC
Post by Robin
[...]
One has to pick Pardesi as an obscure MD who
gave a lovely Mukesh-Lata duet in movie Banjaran.

"Chanda Re More Patiyan Le Ja"

Abhay Jain
Regards..Robin
Srinivas Ganti
2004-05-30 19:11:20 UTC
Post by Robin
8 Vinod - Hamari Yaad Ayegi - sochtha hoon ye kya kiya maine
The composer is Snehal Bhatkar. This perfectly suits Mukesh's style of a
slow paced song with short phrases. When he says "ye kyaa" he is almost
reciting and as Sanjeev says he does it with devastating effect.

sg.
Ashok
2004-06-01 04:46:03 UTC
Post by Robin
I can think of ten Mukesh songs (mostly popular, some rarities) in one
way - from music directors who are relatively obscure and/or from md's
who were not much inclined towards him -
I like a lot your idea of noting Mukesh songs composed by obscure
music directors, but I have serious issues with your working out
of the idea.

SD Burman an obscure music director?! I suppose you brought him in
through the alternative category of Mukesh-disinclined MDs. Then
I'd quarrel with mixing these two categories. The category of
obscure MDs is a very important one in terms of their contributions
to the music we love. People who got just one or two films to compose
(in the extreme casa, just one song!), but used Mukesh show a very
different attitude toward Mukesh than those assorted second- and
third-echelon MDs, who were quite prolific, but found very little
use for Mukesh. The latter category is of interest in its own right,
but let us not mix it with the other group.

Usha Khanna doesn't belong to either of these two categories,
which you yourself seem to note. She has used Mukesh significantly
and well. In a lesser way, the same is true of Sonik-Omi. They
weren't prominent MDs, but far from obscure. The 70s expert Ketan
tells me that in that period, after the usual noise-makers, L-P,
RDB, and K-A, the most prolific composers were Usha Khanna and
Sonik Omi. And they have used Mukesh reasonably well, beginning
with the title song of their debut film.

And, I will take out Hansraj Behl also, and on both counts. I'd
have no hesitation in classing him with second-echelon MDs like
SD Burman and OP Nayyar. And he has made superb use of Mukesh,
including the 1947 masterpiece from 'Chheen Le Azadi':

. motii chugane ga_ii re ha.nsii maan sarovar tiir,

a Mukesh-Shamshad duet.

The final comment on your choices is a subjective affair. I
have problems with the qualitiy of some of the songs you have
chosen. It i snot enough that a song is by an obscure (or for
that matter, disinclined) MD, but it has to be good in its own
right, regardless of its provenance. I think the 'Dr. Vidya'
song sucks big time. I much prefer the songs from 'Vidya'.
Likewise, for OPN, I prefer the song from 'Sambhandh'. And,
from 'Hum Hindutani', I much prefer the solo "raat nikharii
huii, zulf bikharii huii".

Let me sprinkle some of my Mukesh favourites in the obscure MDs
category. One question that comes up is the same that came up
when I was doing the RJGK quiz on the theme of obscure music
directors: should one include people who are far from obscure,
but obscure as music directors--e.g., classical aratists, like
Ravi Shankar, singers like Mukesh himself, etc. I did decide
to include them then and I will now. So, here goes. I'll start
with the MDs featured in the quiz and add some more.

* It seems fitting to start with Mukesh himself. He was the
producer, hero, music director and singer for 'Anurag' ('56). As
the music director for himself he came up with two beautiful solos:

. pal bhar hii ke pehachaan me.n paradesii sanam se
lagataa hai ise jaanate hai.n janam janam se

. koii dil me.n hai aur ....
kise yaad rakhkhuu.N kise bhuul jaa_uu.N

The words are by Indivar and Kaif Irfani, respectively.

* Abhay Jain mentioned this extremely melodious duet with
Lata, composed by Pardesi, from film 'Banjarin' of 1960:

. cha.ndaa re morii patiyaa.N le jaa, patiyaa.N le jaa saajan ko pahu.nchaa de re
ho likh sake javaab unhe.n tuu meraa pataa bataa de re

Beautiful imagery in the stanzas, written by Pandit Madhur.

* I think Kanu Ghosh worked for AIR Delhi. He composed a lovely
ghazal for 'Pyar Ki Raahen' (1959) using Prem Dhawan's superb
lyrics:

. do roz me.n vo pyaar kaa aalam guzar gayaa
barabaad karane aayaa thaa, barabaad kar gayaa

* 'Matlabi Duniya' of 1961 is supposed to have had four music
directors, all unknown. Two beautiful solos by Mukesh were composed
by one Jayanti Joshi. I don't even know whether the MD is a man or
a woman!

. kaa.NTo.n me.n rahanevaale kaa.NTo.n se kyaa Dare.nge
ha.Ns ha.Ns ke aafato.n kaa ham saamanaa kare.nge

. vafaae.n dekh lii patthar jigar zaalim zamaane kii ...
sab pyaar kii baate.n karate hai.n par karane aataa pyaar nahii.n
hai matalab kii duniyaa saari, yahaa.N koii kisii kaa yaar nahii.n,
kisii ko sachchaa pyaar nahii.n

The lyricist is one Ramesh Gupta.

* About Ravi Shankar's two soundtracks of the 1960s, of course, I
was bowled over by the depth of melody and orchestrational virtuosity.
I was also impressed by the range of voice resources he used from
the available palette: Lata, Asha, Geeta, Rafi, Mukesh, Mahendra
Kapoor and Manna Dey. Would have loved to have a few more soundtracks
from him, among other things, just to see how he would have made
use of Talat, Hemant and Kishore.

Only one song of Mukesh, but what a song!

. hiyaa jarat rahat din rain

Perfect melody for Anjaan's words steeped in bucolic charm.

* Much later, in 1976, Anand Shankar got to compose the music for
'Aarambh'. I haven't heard the only duet of Mukesh with Aarti Mukherjee
that he created for the film, but the Mukesh solo is a beauty:

. sabhii sukh duur se guzare

written by Harish Bhawani.

* Mukesh has only one duet with Chandrani Mukherjee also. And that one
came courtesy of an MD pair: Ratandeep-Hemraj. The film is 'Pyasi
Nadi' (1973) and lyricist Tajdar Taj. A very lilting melody:

. o re sajanavaa kyuu.N saagar me.n aate hai.n tuufaan
ho raamaa ho raamaa ho ho

* Another one-great-soundtrack wonder, I am told, was also an AIR
artist--Satish Bhatia. And the quality of his work for 'Boond Jo
Ban Gayi Moti' is such that I wonder why there was no queue of
producers in front of his house! Two beauties with words by Bharat
Vyas, one a solo and the other a duet with Suman:

. harii harii vasu.ndharaa pe niil niil ye gagan ..
ye kaun chitrakaar hai, ye kaun chitrakaar

. haa.N mai.n ne bhii pyaar kiyaa

* People often ask the question, which of the Raj Kapoor produced
film had the best soundtrack? For me, it is a no-brainer. No, the
answer is not 'Jagte Raho'. It is Raj Kapoor's very first film,
'Aag' (48). The music director is both obscure and familiar! Ram
Ganguli. Here's the Mukesh masterpiece, with words by Behzad
Lakhnavi:

. zi.ndaa huu.N is tarah ki Gam-e-zi.ndagii nahii.n

* I know of only one film with music by Krishna Dayal, BSc. I believe
he was the assistant of Hansraj Behl. His soundtrack for 'Lekh' of
1949 is of desert-island calibre. Let me just mention the Mukesh-Suraiya
masterpiece from the film:

. badaraa kii chhaa.Nv tale, nanhii.n nanhii.n bu.ndiyaa.N
hil mil baiThe.n dono.n yahii man bhaay re

The lyricist was one Raghupati Rai.

* I know nothing else from a composer named Dinkar Rao. He was
the co-music director with M.A. Rauf for a 1947 film called 'Beete Din'
and produced this beauty:

. arsho.n pe sitaaraa hai o, din raat nasiibo.n me.n

The lyricist is either Pandit Fani or H. Tanvir.

* And Rauf himself spread out a whole feast of Mukesh songs in another
film of the same year, 'Tohfa'. I'll just mention two solos:

. kis ne chhe.Daa man kaa taar

. kahaa.N tak jafaa husnavaalo.n kii sahate

The lyricists were, respectively, Shant Arora and Saaqib Lakhnavi.

* Another incredible Mukesh feast showed up in the same year, this
time by Pandit Gobind Ram. The film was 'Do Dil'. Two lovely duets
with Suraiya were there:

. maaTii kaa but bhaa gyaa
dil hii to hai aa gayaa

. kaagaz kii merii naav aur duur kinaaraa hai

* One occasionally comes across a soundtrack by Baldev Nath Bali,
about once a decade or so. For a totally unknown film of 1963,
called 'Patal Nagari' (I think it was one of those Dara Singh
and King Kong films), he composed this ditty:

. aa tujhe palako.n me.n chhupaa luu.N, dekhe.n na saaraa zamaanaa

* Another such once-a-decade-or-so composer is Vedpal Varma, who
writes his own songs. I ran into a lovely Mukesh solo written
and tuned by him, but had difficulty finding out details about
the film. Dr. Surjit Singh illuminated the issue by finding out
that it was an English language film! Well, the film is titled
'The Right and the Wrong' (1973) and the song is:

. shaam Dhalii aur nikale.n hai taare ...
o mere hamaraahii, kyuu.N teraa man ghabaraae

* Another half-mystery like that turned out to be perhaps a
Bangla film, 'Subhash Chandra' (1978). It has a lovely devotional
song in Hindi by Mukesh, written by Saraswati Kumar 'Deepak'.
And the composer is Bappi Lahidi's father Aparesh Lahidi. The
song is:

. jay raadhe shyaam, raadhe shyaam
yahaa.N raadhaa ku.nDa hai, kamal ku.nDa hai, aur hai govardhan
o baabuu yahii to bri.ndaavan

* RMIM is almost uniformly contemptuous of Sharda as a singer (the
only exception other than I that I am aware of is Satish Kalra).
Sharda has composed music for a few films and two of them have a
song apiece by Mukesh: 'Maa, Biwi Aur Bahen' and 'Maila Anchal'.
The latter was released in 1981 and has a nice duet with SUman,
written by Qamar:

. meraa dil kahataa hai

* Let me end with another singer who has staked claim to
immortalitiy by creating a masterpiece as her only foray into
composing. I am surprised no RMIMer remembered the song in the

. tum mujhe bhuul bhii jaao, to ye haq hai tum ko
Post by Robin
Regards..Robin
Ashok
naniwadekar
2004-06-01 05:31:20 UTC
Post by Ashok
* 'Matlabi Duniya' of 1961 is supposed to have had four music
directors, all unknown. Two beautiful solos by Mukesh were composed
by one Jayanti Joshi. I don't even know whether the MD is a man or
a woman!
. kaa.NTo.n me.n rahanevaale kaa.NTo.n se kyaa Dare.nge
The lyricist is one Ramesh Gupta.
If this Ramesh Gupta is not different from the person who
was associated with Prakash Pictures, and I would guess
he must be the same fellow, then he shouldn't be mentioned
as 'one Ramesh Gupta'.
Post by Ashok
* I know nothing else from a composer named Dinkar Rao. He was
the co-music director with M.A. Rauf for a 1947 film called 'Beete Din'
. arsho.n pe sitaaraa hai o, din raat nasiibo.n me.n
I think someone (Pasupuleti?) had speculated that this Dinkar
Rao is none other than Dinkar Rao Amembal, one of the greatest
Hindustani flautists. Better known by his monicker D'Amel, his
association with AIR, Mumbai's orchestra in 1940s is legendary
as both composer and flute-player. If he had composed nothing
except the beautiful orchestra piece in Nayaki Kanada, we
should still know what a genius he was. This piece, and another
stunning sitar beauty almost certainly by Ravi Shankar, were
often used as fillers by radio stations.

- dn
Sreenivas Paruchuri
2004-06-02 20:31:44 UTC
Post by naniwadekar
Post by Ashok
* I know nothing else from a composer named Dinkar Rao. He was
the co-music director with M.A. Rauf for a 1947 film called 'Beete Din'
. arsho.n pe sitaaraa hai o, din raat nasiibo.n me.n
I think someone (Pasupuleti?) had speculated that this Dinkar
Rao is none other than Dinkar Rao Amembal, one of the greatest
Hindustani flautists. Better known by his monicker D'Amel, his
Theres at least one composer by name Dinkar Rao (/ S. B. Dinkar Rao),
who is a Maharashtrian, who composed some great music for Telugu films
between 1941 and 1952. He also sang at least one song in a Telugu film:
"pantulamma" (1943), however not credited on disc. Other Maharashtrians
who composed music for Telugu films were: Anna Saheb Mainkar for
"dharmapatni" (1941) and Moti Baabu (brahmaratham-1947).

My strong guess is that the song from "biite din" was composed by the
same SBD Rao.

Regards,
Sreenivas
naniwadekar
2004-06-18 07:50:28 UTC
Post by Sreenivas Paruchuri
Post by naniwadekar
Post by Ashok
. arsho.n pe sitaaraa hai o, din raat nasiibo.n me.n
I think someone (Pasupuleti?) had speculated that this Dinkar
Rao is none other than Dinkar Rao Amembal, one of the greatest
Hindustani flautists. Better known by his monicker D'Amel, his
Theres at least one composer by name Dinkar Rao (/ S. B. Dinkar Rao),
who is a Maharashtrian, who composed some great music for Telugu films
"pantulamma" (1943), however not credited on disc. Other Maharashtrians
who composed music for Telugu films were: Anna Saheb Mainkar for
"dharmapatni" (1941) and Moti Baabu (brahmaratham-1947).
My strong guess is that the song from "biite din" was composed by the
same SBD Rao.
MDs for Beete Din were M A Rauf and A Dinkar Rao. I think
we can rule out S B Dinkar Rao from this picture and
consider Dinkar Amembal to be a strong candidate.
Or it could be some other Dinkar altogether.

As for the Maharashtrian who composed for Telugu Films under
the name S B Dinkar Rao, I came across a new name today while
leafing through pages of HFGK. Dinkar S Bidkar had composed
music for a few Hindi films, like Nanand Bhojai and Nand Ke
Lala (1934). This person might have scored music for Telugu
films later.

- dn

Vijay Kumar K
2004-06-02 18:08:39 UTC
Post by Ashok
* Another one-great-soundtrack wonder, I am told, was also an AIR
artist--Satish Bhatia. And the quality of his work for 'Boond Jo
Ban Gayi Moti' is such that I wonder why there was no queue of
producers in front of his house! Two beauties with words by Bharat
. harii harii vasu.ndharaa pe niil niil ye gagan ..
ye kaun chitrakaar hai, ye kaun chitrakaar
. haa.N mai.n ne bhii pyaar kiyaa
I note you say "one-great-soundtrack wonder" and not "one-soundtrack wonder"

Until today I did not know of any other film MDed by Satish Bhatia. Today,
I discovered that he has Maaldar (55) in his filmography, too. Can someone
confirm from the HFGK and does anyone know the music to comment on it?

Vijay
urzung khan
2004-06-13 00:15:19 UTC
Post by Ashok
Post by Robin
[...]
Post by Robin
Regards..Robin
Ashok
Two songs from Gunjan 1948 should have been included here.
MD was Ashok Ghosh.

jalane vaale tum ko kyaa un ko Kabar ho yaa na ho
tuu bhare jaa aahe.n un pe kuchh asar ho yaa na ho

ko_ii din zindagii ke gunagunaa kar ke bitaataa hai
ko_ii paa kar ke khotaa hai ko_ii kho kar ke paataa hai

Urzung Khan
Sunil Dandekar
2004-06-02 09:28:22 UTC
Post by nishay
Most popular Mukesh songs? Please?
Uday
Some more..

SAD/PHILOSOPHY

1) Woh subaha kabhi to aayegi. (Phir Subah Hogi)
2) Koi jab tumhara hriday tod de. (Purab Aur Paschim?)
3) Jaoo kahan bata ai dil (Chhoti Bahen)

ROMANTIC

1)Suhani Chaandani Ratee... (Mukti)

regards,
Sunil Dandekar
kcp
2004-05-30 15:17:03 UTC
Post by Abhay Jain
Post by Robin
quite a few good ones for Mukesh.
10 ? - Nain dwaar - maybe the deepest ever voice from him, (w/Lata)
Hansraj Behl
(Mukesh also sang 'ye hasta hua caravan' from Hemant Kumar's 'Ek
Jhalak'? I have never this one)
One has to pick Pardesi as an obscure MD who
gave a lovely Mukesh-Lata duet in movie Banjaran.
"Chanda Re More Patiyan Le Ja"
Abhay Jain
Post by Robin
Regards..Robin
I wonder how "Anaadi" songs were missed out !! Undoubtedly my most fav
Mukesh song : Kisi Ki Muskurahaton Pe Ho Nisaar...Was this song popular
when it was released ?....

Regds

KCP
Satish Kalra
2004-05-30 17:15:55 UTC
"kcp" <***@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c9cttf$***@odak26.prod.google.com...

....snipped....
Post by kcp
I wonder how "Anaadi" songs were missed out !! Undoubtedly my most fav
Mukesh song : Kisi Ki Muskurahaton Pe Ho Nisaar...Was this song popular
when it was released ?....
Regds
KCP
A number of songs have to be left out for the exercise in question.

Combining three in one - Mukesh top songs with excellent musical interlude,
and prelude:

From this point of view, let me mention "aa ab laut chalein..." from Jis
Desh Mein Ganga Behti hai, which meets all the criteria of an excellent
Mukesh song (accompanied by Lata's aalaaps), excellent musical interlude, as
well as prelude. All in one.

And if you have seen the film, you know how well it was picturized, with the
violins providing the background for the marching police force
surrounding/zeroing in on Raakaa and his dacoit gang. The entire song
sequence brings goosebumps, even today, for me.

--
Happy Listenings.

Satish Kalra
Surma Bhopali
2004-05-30 23:06:20 UTC
Post by Satish Kalra
A number of songs have to be left out for the exercise in question.
Combining three in one - Mukesh top songs with excellent musical interlude,
From this point of view, let me mention "aa ab laut chalein..." from Jis
Desh Mein Ganga Behti hai, which meets all the criteria of an excellent
Mukesh song (accompanied by Lata's aalaaps), excellent musical interlude, as
well as prelude. All in one.
And if you have seen the film, you know how well it was picturized, with the
violins providing the background for the marching police force
surrounding/zeroing in on Raakaa and his dacoit gang. The entire song
sequence brings goosebumps, even today, for me.
This song is my favourite too. But I find the antaraa tune more
fascinating than the interludes. It may be becuase of my general
dislike of S-J's overuse of violins in interludes which in this case
might be justified. It just puts me off. That said, I am a big fan of
this song. I can't tell how many times I have hummed the lines "laakh
lubaae.n mahal paraae, apanaa ghar phir apanaa ghar hai... aa ab lauT
chale".
Afzal A. Khan
2004-05-30 23:03:16 UTC
Post by Satish Kalra
....snipped....
Post by kcp
I wonder how "Anaadi" songs were missed out !! Undoubtedly my most fav
Mukesh song : Kisi Ki Muskurahaton Pe Ho Nisaar...Was this song popular
when it was released ?....
Regds
KCP
A number of songs have to be left out for the exercise in question.
Combining three in one - Mukesh top songs with excellent musical interlude,
From this point of view, let me mention "aa ab laut chalein..." from Jis
Desh Mein Ganga Behti hai, which meets all the criteria of an excellent
Mukesh song (accompanied by Lata's aalaaps), excellent musical interlude, as
well as prelude. All in one.
And if you have seen the film, you know how well it was picturized, with the
violins providing the background for the marching police force
surrounding/zeroing in on Raakaa and his dacoit gang. The entire song
sequence brings goosebumps, even today, for me.
Satish Kalra
I think at least 50 songs of Mukesh have been mentioned
in this thread. Each music-lover can have his pick of the
top ten. Most moods and styles of his songs have been
covered. I would like to add two more songs --- light
classical, sung in a happy romantic style and accompanying
some pleasing dances :

"Albeli naar Thumak Thumak chali jaaye re"

(Ek Phool Chaar Kaante - SJ - 1960)

"Ban ke chakori gori jhoom jhoom naacho ri"

(Hum Matwale Naujawan - Chitragupta -1961

Afzal
Rirfan6
2004-05-30 23:57:40 UTC
Post by Afzal A. Khan
. I would like to add two more songs --- light
classical, sung in a happy romantic style
Thanks Afzal Saheb, both these songs
are pretty good. However, the song from
Ek Phool.....is Matwali naar thumak.....

Regards,

Irfan
Afzal A. Khan
2004-05-31 06:29:37 UTC
Post by Rirfan6
Post by Afzal A. Khan
. I would like to add two more songs --- light
classical, sung in a happy romantic style
Thanks Afzal Saheb, both these songs
are pretty good. However, the song from
Ek Phool.....is Matwali naar thumak.....
Regards,
Irfan
Thanks Irfan Bhai. I realised the error soon after
sending the message. I was confusing the opening line
with another fine song --- set in Bhairavi --- from an
obscure film "MaiN Shaadi Karne Chala" (1963 ?) :
"Albeli naar, preetam dwaare...". I am sure you
would remember this other song.

Afzal
Vijay Kumar K
2004-06-01 19:58:17 UTC
Post by Afzal A. Khan
I think at least 50 songs of Mukesh have been mentioned
in this thread. Each music-lover can have his pick of the
top ten.
Afzal
Not mentioned among the 50 or so ... unless it was part of the Binaca
Geetmala list
- chanchal sheetal nirmal komal (Satyam Shivam Sundaram)

a song which goes with the "spoken style" rendition that Nani & Sanjeev
have extolled in this thread.

Vijay
a***@yahoo.com
2004-06-02 15:32:49 UTC
Post by Vijay Kumar K
Post by Afzal A. Khan
I think at least 50 songs of Mukesh have been mentioned
in this thread. Each music-lover can have his pick of the
top ten.
Afzal
Not mentioned among the 50 or so ... unless it was part of the Binaca
Geetmala list
- chanchal sheetal nirmal komal (Satyam Shivam Sundaram)
a song which goes with the "spoken style" rendition that Nani & Sanjeev
have extolled in this thread.
Vijay
Some fine songs of Mukesh ,
1. sur ki gat mai kya jaanu
2. sunau kya mai gham apna
3. kyon pheri nazar
4. dumbhar ka tha dour khushi ka
5. dil dhoondh ta hai sahare sahare
6. bahe na kabhi nayan se neer

Anil
V S Rawat
2004-06-02 17:12:05 UTC
Some fine songs of Mukesh, 1. sur ki gat mai kya jaanu 2.
sunau kya mai gham apna 3. kyon pheri nazar 4. dumbhar ka
tha dour khushi ka 5. dil dhoondh ta hai sahare sahare 6.
bahe na kabhi nayan se neer
among non-film ones, I remember one particular number from
vividh bharati days.

haa.N mai.n diiwaanaa huu.N

mere mahabuub mere dost nahii.n ye bhii nahii.n
merii ? tabiiyat kaa taqaazaa hai kuchh aur

----------------
btw, vividhbharati has again changed its program placement.
That "ujaale unakii yaado.n ke" in which khayyam's memoires
are being aired has got shifted to 2:30 PM.

Radio mirchi is moving more and more towards older songs
depending on their surveys for listeners' feedback. Now they
are airing old songs also during daytime for 2 hours. Though
old for them is '65+ and 60% songs are RDB's.

-Rawat
Rohit
2004-06-15 10:46:55 UTC
Post by V S Rawat
Some fine songs of Mukesh, 1. sur ki gat mai kya jaanu 2.
sunau kya mai gham apna 3. kyon pheri nazar 4. dumbhar ka
tha dour khushi ka 5. dil dhoondh ta hai sahare sahare 6.
bahe na kabhi nayan se neer
among non-film ones, I remember one particular number from
vividh bharati days.
haa.N mai.n diiwaanaa huu.N
I think its haa.N diiwaanaa huu.N mai.n

If we look at the most popular Mukesh songs, then i think they are,
(All of them were in topers of Binaca Geetmala Countdowns)

1. Mere man ki Ganga
2. Sawan ka Mahina
3. Mera Joota hai Japani
4. Jis Dil mein basa tha pyar tera
Other popular numbers are....

1. Awaraa Hoon
2. Zinda hoon ish tarrah
3. Maine tere liye hi
4. Jaane kahan gaye woh din
5. Duniya banane wale
-Rawat
UVR
2004-06-15 14:34:34 UTC
Post by Rohit
Post by V S Rawat
among non-film ones, I remember one particular number from
vividh bharati days.
haa.N mai.n diiwaanaa huu.N
I think its haa.N diiwaanaa huu.N mai.n
No, the song Rawat mentioned is indeed 'haa.N mai.n diiwaanaa huu.N'.
(Rawat: thank you for reminding me of this song). What a song it is!
Mukesh's singing makes it that much more enjoyable.

I couldn't find this song in the C-ISB (nor in giitaayan). I am
pretty sure Ashok had posted the lyrics of this nazm a while back,
but I can't find them via Google right now. So, just in case my
memory is playing tricks on me, here the lyrics are. Enjoy.

This nazm is present on HMV's Mukesh non-film song releases.
I recently saw an RPG-HMV CD titled "Golden Moments - Mukesh -
ashaar mere" which includes it.

-UVR.

% ITRANS Song #
%
\startsong
\stitle{haa.N mai.n diiwaanaa huu.N ... mere mahabuub mere dost nahii.n
ye bhii nahii.n}%
\film{Non-Film}%
\year{}%
\starring{}%
\singer{Mukesh}%
\music{Murli Manohar Swaroop}%
\lyrics{Shaukat Pardesi}%
%
% Audio on:
% Contributor: Ashok Dhareshwar (?), U.V. Ravindra
% Transliterator: U.V. Ravindra
% Date: 15 Jun 2004
% Series:
% Comments:
% generated using giitaayan
%
\printtitle
#indian
%
haa.N mai.n diiwaanaa huu.N, chaahuu.N to machal sakataa huu.N
Kilvat\-e\-husn ke qaanuun badal sakataa huu.N
Kaar to Kaar hai.n, a.ngaaro.n pe chal sakataa huu.N
%
% Kilvat-e-husn ke qaanuun =
% rules/laws that state that beauty must be kept private
% or hidden
% Kaar = thorns

mere mahabuub, mere dost, nahii.n! ye bhii nahii.n
merii bebaak tabiiyat kaa taqaazaa hai kuchh aur \- 2
%
% bebaak = impudent (fearless)

isii raftaar se duniyaa ko guzar jaane duu.N
dil me.n ghuT\-ghuTake tamannaao.n ko mar jaane duu.N
terii zulfo.n ko sar\-e\-dosh bikhar jaane duu.N
%
% sar-e-dosh = on the shoulders

mere mahabuub, mere dost, nahii.n! ye bhii nahii.n \- 2
merii bebaak tabiiyat kaa taqaazaa hai kuchh aur \- 2

ek din chhiin luu.N mai.n azmat\-e\-baatil kaa junuu.N
to.D duu.N, to.D duu.N mai.n shaukat\-e\-duniyaa kaa fusuu.N
aur bah jaa_e yahii.n nabz\-e\-zar\-o\-siim kaa Kuu.N

Gairat\-e\-ishq ko ma.nzuur tamaashaa hai yahii \- 2
merii fitarat kaa, mere dost, taqaazaa hai yahii \- 2
%
% azmat-e-baatil = false splendor (jhuuThii shaan)
% shaukat-e-duniyaa = the (material) grandeur of this world
% fusuu.N = magic, sorcery
% zar-o-siim = gold and silver,
% nabz-e-zar-o-siim = veins in which gold and silver flow
% (i.e., the rich and wealthy)
% Gairat = zeal (also pride, self-respect)
% fitarat = basic nature

%
#endindian
\endsong
V S Rawat
2004-06-15 14:21:26 UTC
Post by Rohit
Post by V S Rawat
Some fine songs of Mukesh, 1. sur ki gat mai kya jaanu 2.
sunau kya mai gham apna 3. kyon pheri nazar 4. dumbhar ka
tha dour khushi ka 5. dil dhoondh ta hai sahare sahare 6.
bahe na kabhi nayan se neer
among non-film ones, I remember one particular number from
vividh bharati days.
haa.N mai.n diiwaanaa huu.N
I think its haa.N diiwaanaa huu.N mai.n
When I looked at your reply, for a moment I got thinking how
could I mention it wrongly. Then I remembered.

NO. The song i mentioned is a non-film one and used to be
aired on vividh bharati some 20 years ago.

haa.N mai.n diiwaanaa huu.N chaahuu.N to machal sakataa huu.N

khilwat-e-husn (?) ke a.ndaaz badal sakataa huu.N

khaar to khaar hai a.ngaaro.n pe chal sakataa huu.N

mere mahabuub mere dost nahii.n ye bhii nahii.n
merii ? tabiiyat kaa taqaazaa hai kuchh aur
-------------
seems it has not been heard by rmimers. A lovely song.
Post by Rohit
If we look at the most popular Mukesh songs, then i think they are,
(All of them were in topers of Binaca Geetmala Countdowns)
1. Mere man ki Ganga
rajkapoor
Post by Rohit
2. Sawan ka Mahina
Sunil dutt
Post by Rohit
3. Mera Joota hai Japani
rajkapoor
Post by Rohit
4. Jis Dil mein basa tha pyar tera
??
Post by Rohit
Other popular numbers are....
1. Awaraa Hoon
rajkapoor
Post by Rohit
2. Zinda hoon ish tarrah
rajkapoor???
Post by Rohit
3. Maine tere liye hi
rajesh khanna
Post by Rohit
4. Jaane kahan gaye woh din
rajkapoor
Post by Rohit
5. Duniya banane wale
rajkapoor

Is it a coincidence or are you a fan or rajkapoor also?

-Rawat
Rohit
2004-06-16 04:25:16 UTC
Post by V S Rawat
Post by Rohit
If we look at the most popular Mukesh songs, then i think they are,
(All of them were in topers of Binaca Geetmala Countdowns)
1. Mere man ki Ganga
rajkapoor
Post by Rohit
2. Sawan ka Mahina
Sunil dutt
Post by Rohit
3. Mera Joota hai Japani
rajkapoor
Post by Rohit
4. Jis Dil mein basa tha pyar tera
??
Post by Rohit
Other popular numbers are....
1. Awaraa Hoon
rajkapoor
Post by Rohit
2. Zinda hoon ish tarrah
rajkapoor???
Post by Rohit
3. Maine tere liye hi
rajesh khanna
Post by Rohit
4. Jaane kahan gaye woh din
rajkapoor
Post by Rohit
5. Duniya banane wale
rajkapoor
Is it a coincidence or are you a fan or rajkapoor also?
-Rawat
Any day.....

BTW, those were the songs that I presumed to be the more popular
Mukesh numbers. My favourites are...

1. Zinda hoon ish tarrah
2. Dil Jalta hai to
3. Ohore taal mile
4. Aansoo bhari hai
5. Jhhomti chali hawa
6. Mujhko is raat ki tanhaiyon mein
7. Duniya bananewale
8. Dost dost
9. Dam dam diga diga
10. Suhana Safar

well... still Raj Kapoor....
Amit Malhotra
2004-06-15 14:44:37 UTC
Post by nishay
Most popular Mukesh songs? Please?
Uday
So many songs were mentionned in this thread, all of them really good.
Mukesh happens to be one of my personal favourites. A couple of
songs that I didn't see anywhere and I consider them as part of my top
10 of Mukesh are:

- vo tere pyaar ka gham
- maiN pal do pal kaa shaayar

Regards